Lyudmila Lysenko, PhD (Biology), is a Russian biologist, ecologist, theologian and public figure, a Leading Scientific Researcher of the Karelian Scientific Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Lyudmila comes from a family of doctors, scientists and forensic medical specialists with a long and strong traditions. She graduated from Department of Ecology and Biology of Petrozavodsk State University. In 2004, under the leadership of a corresponding member of Russian Academy of Sciences, Professor N. N. Nemova, she defended her PhD dissertation in Biochemistry on the topic "The influence of some environmental factors on intracellular proteolysis in hydrobionts".
Lyudmila Lysenko's research interests include:
○ studying the diversity and features of intracellular proteolytic enzymes in fish and aquatic invertebrates;
○ analysing the components of the proteolytic machinery: lysosomal-autophagic, ubiquitin-proteasomal, and calpain systems;
○ detecting proteinase participation in regulation of physiological processes, including growth, ontogenesis stages, spawning, migration, starvation, infectious and degenerative diseases;
○ investigating the role of proteinases in the development of adaptive responses to changes in the environment, including salinity, temperature, chemical pollution with heavy metals, oil components, organic pollution of the aquatic environment, electromagnetic radiation, disturbances of the earth's magnetosphere;
○ philosophy and methodology of biology;
○ social ecology;
○ interreligious dialogue.
Lyudmila is the author of 2 monographs, 3 chapters in monographs, 2 textbook, more than 70 articles in periodicals.
She is the author, director and supervisor of a number of volunteer social programmes, including environmental ones: creating ecological-friendly city landscapes, developing ecologically friendly lifestyle regimes with minimisation of consumption, implementing programmes of separate waste collection, recycling and splitting of plastic pollutants, protecting and constructing shelters for homeless animals, as well as providing the animals with homes; and social ones: social control of political election campaigns, social education, construction of Orthodox temples in Russia.
Lyudmila Lysenko is directly involved in the formation of civil society in the Russian Federation. She is a member of social control organisations and organisations which promote a dialogue between society and the authorities.